Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links that help to support this site. Readers DO NOT pay more to shop through these links!
Can a home office be both pretty and functional? Absolutely! Creating the ideal work space may take a little extra planning, but if you follow these simple tips, your office space CAN and WILL be as fabulous as YOU make it!
1. Use what you already have. Look around your house for items you may already have. Often times you will find a desk, desk accessories, or a chair in your attic or basement. Perhaps there is an old desk that needs a coat of paint or a table that can be brought back to life with marbled contact paper? Get creative with paperclip caddies and pencil/pen holders.
2. Enjoy your surroundings. Don't set up your home office in a dingy corner of the basement, unless that is the only space available. Look for an empty corner of a bedroom or family room where there is plenty of natural light.
When you find the perfect place in your home, hang paintings or photography on the walls, or place one or two frames on your desk of whatever makes you happy. Family photos or a dreamy travel destination will remind you of why you are working so hard.
4. Storage. Space can be a precious comodity. Utilize smart and stylish cubbies, cabinets, and shelving that add sophisticated detail to your office decor and provide storage solutions that help you stay organized and keep clutter at bay. Shop flea markets and thrift stores for shelving and cubbies. Check clearance sales at TJMaxx and Homegoods stores for storage cubbies and other office supplies.
5. Furniture. An adjustable and comfortable office chair that supports your back is important for both your health and productivity. You will want to consider whether you want arm rests, 360 degree swivel capability, and the overall comfort of the seat material itself. A fiberglass chair will probably not provide the comfort you need for an 8-hour day.
White Writing Desk - $119 (ships free)
Gold Task Lamp - $25
7. Do more with less. Multi-functional items such as a multi-purpose printers that scan, copy, and fax, will save valuable space and save you money. Take your time and shop the sales. You will want to do your research and never buy a high ticket item on a whim.
That's it! Creating a functional work space can be fun, and best of all, you don't have to break the bank to do it!