Image by zardemisses via Flickr
Prom season is quickly approaching. In many areas, Prom season will be in two to three months, but have you selected your gown yet? While this year's choices include many trends from 2015, they've also evolved even further with choices both fashionable teens and conservative parents approve of.
Must Try 2016 Prom Dress Trends
This year's prom dress trends have combined the best of the previous years and added some fun twists to it. Last year, two-piece gowns with crop tops were all the rage. In 2016, designers made it even more sophisticated by adding sheer mesh so it's more of a mock two-piece gown. In addition, while spring usually brings soft pastel shades, girls are leaning towards darker metallic colors for their prom dresses 2016.
- Two Piece Gowns - Many teen girls still love this style in both long gowns, and fun and flirty shorter styles. It will continue to be trendy because the crop top allows you to show just enough of your toned stomach to be sexy. For a trendy shorter two-piece that features a flowing chiffon skirt and a sheer neckline by an intricately beaded bodice, try a Hannah S Prom dress.
- Mock Two-Piece - Instead of the traditional two-piece gowns, which show lots of skin, this option is connected by sheer mesh, such as the B'Dazzle Navy Sheer Dress. It includes an intricately beaded bodice and a fitted jersey skirt, connected with a sheer panel. You can buy online at Prom Dress Shop.
- Mermaid Style - While this isn't a new style, it has become more popular, because it's more dramatic and sophisticated. This is one of the look girls are aiming for in 2016. This year, teen girls are avoiding poufy ball gowns and choosing mermaid or trumpet style gowns with just a touch of flare. If you want to be super trendy, consider a Mori Lee one-shoulder mermaid dress that features a two-tier trumpet skirt and an intricate lace and beaded bodice.
- High-Low hemlines - These have become popular because you can show off your shapely legs in front, while still wearing a longer, classic skirt in the back so it provides just enough edginess. If you want all eyes on you, try one of those Faviana dresses, featuring a high halter neckline, sexy open back, and made in a modern satin style.
- Flower Power - This spring, show off some blossoming buds by featuring them on your prom dress. Sherri Hill is known for her floral tops and skirts in particular. Look for her long lace gown, printed with colorful pink blooms and paired with a pink lace crop top with elegant cap sleeves. If you prefer to wear flowers all over your gown, consider donning a Jovani floral dress, which features floral appliqués not only on the bodice and sheer back but on the back of the skirt as well.
- Darker colors - While for many years, teens have selected pastels for their prom dress, this year dark shades and metallics are more popular. Dresses in colors like Navy, Red, or Silver can often be worn to other formal events. Try a Jovani gown which features a long jersey skirt with detailing on the small train, a sexy open back, and a high neckline, coming in a variety of colors.
With all of these 2016 prom trends, you should have no problem finding one that works with your personal taste and style. Remember to shop early before all of the best choices are gone.
*This article was contributed by Katrina Fernandez. Thank you, Katrina.